Wednesday 10 November 2010

Combat evolved... or maybe just overhauled

So, as you may have picked up by now. I use my own system.  But I still rely on the odd Rolemaster (RM) table.  I'm going to check out GURPS soon, and probably the D6 system, as I haven't played either of those, but in the meantime, I'm in a position to try out my new combat system.

Combat in RM is a bit too lengthy for me.  Roll d% add your combat score, subtract enemy defense bonus check table, and if that gives you a critical, roll again on the critical and check result.  I've been wanting to for some time resolve this far more quickly, and ideally with one roll.  Trouble is, there are many elements to factor in.

Also, the issue I have with RM is, even if you roll a natural 100, because you roll again on the critical table, you can roll an 01 then, and ended up with a worthless critical.  A critical in name only.  A critical that isn't a critical at all.  That is perhaps the suckingest.

So this is what I'm thinking:  after winning initiative (if appropriate) attacking player rolls d100 and adds their attack bonus (from whatever weapon they are wielding) and the enemy also rolls and adds their their defense bonus to their roll (they may also at this point parry with a portion of their attack bonus, but if they do so, they only have the remaining attack bonus, when its their turn to attack).

Also, at this point, any extra bonuses the player has, can be added to the roll.  And the GM may apply any modifiers applicable to the situation, i.e. +10 due to superior positioning, -10 due to inclement weather (have you tried duelling during heavy rain, you're certainly not at your best).

The result of this formula is directly applied to the critical table, i.e. any positive result.  The attackers roll + attack bonus + modifiers is greater than the defenders roll + defense bonus + any modifiers the result is damage done.  Also, RM's exciting 'open ended' rules apply, though modified.  If a natural 100 is rolled, the player may roll again and at that to their result too.  This is in itself open ended, i.e. if the player rolls a second natural 100, they may roll for a third time.

If the defender wins.  Their 'excess' - how many points over the attack they were - may be added to their next initiative roll.  Initiative is rolled between every bout of combat.  So combat follows the format of:

Both parties roll initiative (adding any applicable bonuses, reflexes, quick draw, etc.) whomever wins becomes the 'attacker'.

If more than one enemy is attacking a defender, the defenders roll is divided between the attackers, as they see fit.  i.e. you can choose to be more cautious and defend yourself more thoroughly against one particular attacker.

I'm going to visit my Dutch friend Joost soon.  I hope to test the system with him.  If it works, great.  If it doesn't, I'm tempted to try a far simpler system without any funky critical tables.  Back to the good old days of straight hit points and double damage.  All the detail takes place in the imagination anyway.  It's all interpretive.  I'm not sure thats even a word.  But what I mean is, over the last ten years I've moved further and further away from actual printed rules, and closer and closer to rolling dice, adding bonuses, and interpreting what has occured.  I'm not sure I even need a table to say his leg is severed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

speak your brains here...