Thursday 28 October 2010

Be back soon...

...I meant about two years later. Yes, its a cosmic timescale I work to. Anyway. Despite this blog allegedly being about P&P roleplaying, it is also going to be about games design, and some deconstruction of video games. I'll probably end up changing the title again. But I'll leave it as it is for now, just to mislead you all.

O, just for the record, I haven't played WoW in months. Just can't bring myself to waste my time on a game whose endgame is so gimped. I mean, I really don't want to spend 5 hours trawling through a 25-man raid along with five other mages, on the off-chance that a boss drops the one item I'm so desperately after - the only item I need to improve my character - just for another mage to roll higher than me. Not my idea of fun. And a fatal flaw in game design, revealed by the fact that I, and several of my previous WoW-playing friends have all stopped playing because of this one mechanism.

I would go as far to say that any game that requires you to do the same thing over and over again, and restricts your play to having to do just one thing as a route to get one particular facet of advancement is making a mistake.

I don't mind that, Such-And-Such A Wand Of Terrible Doom only drops from Flaming Dave Doomhead. But there should be another wand of the same power obtainable elsewhere.

But hell, don't get me started on WoW's flaws, I need to go to bed, its been a long day, and that is the subject of another post.

I only really rocked up here today to announce two things. I'm switching this blog back on. And I'm going to commit to it.

There I said it.

pilch out

1 comment:

  1. my point has always been for the more powerful magic items to be unique.Such-And-Such A Wand Of Terrible Doom only drops from Flaming Dave Doomhead once. Presuming Flaming Dave Doomhead was killed, he's out of the picture too (unless he is undead/resurrected/otherwise-reinstated). much fun to be had in players trying to get their hands on said item from the player that snagged it. to put some edge on it, you could have it that if you carry unique items you are unable to deny PvP - might make some players think twice about wanting such items - think of famous gunslingers - always someone trying to outgun them - by hook or by crook!

    ReplyDelete

speak your brains here...