Friday 10 December 2010

System vs. Setting

Okay, so something occurred to me recently.

As some of you may be aware I've been indulging myself in a little P&P RPG research of late, and from this two gems have emerged...

Firstly, Ars Magica. This is quite simply a great idea for a roleplaying game setting.  And the first game I have ever come across that makes me want to take their world and play it as it is (and I'm only 30 odd pages into the rulebook).  And that is not my usual M.O. by any standard.  Typically, I flit through RPGs and pick up on little ideas here and there and incorporate them into my own game system or setting. I have a penchant for creating my own source material where possible.  Partly because I live in a dream world, and partly because I don't like my players knowing anything about the setting save for what I tell them, i.e. no 'outside' knowledge of monsters, enemies, places or histories, etc.  But Ars Magica is such a brilliantly simple and fantastically engaging setting that I'm already thinking about running a de facto session, just to see how it plays.  True, I have taken a few concepts I like and worked them into an alternative 6th Age history of my own fantasy world setting but this is only adds further kudos to the game.  It has some great ideas.  It is founded upon great ideas.  And I eagerly await running my first session.  If you don't know about Ars Magica, check it out, you won't be disappointed.  If you are disappointed, check yourself over for lobotomy scars forthwith.

The second game I have purchased recently (yet to be delivered, and I drool in antici... pation) is Changeling: The Lost.  It bears a similarity to Ars in that they are both set in the real world... in a manner of speaking.  Or an alternate version of the real world, where certain fantastical elements are true.  When I read a little about Changeling it reminded me of Suzanna Clark's superb novel Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrel - which I loved - so I just had to get it.  The setting is, again, enticing.

But all this got me to thinking...  System vs. Setting.

I think I'm right in saying that both of these games won awards.  I can't be bothered to check.  If you want to dispute this, you check it.  I know Ars for certain is generally regarded as having the best magic system of any RPG, and worth taking a look at for that alone.  Especially from my stance where I have put considerable effort into making magick as weird and special as I can in my fantasy games, and not simply trotting down the same old tired path.  Take a look at my posts on my approach to magick if you're vaguely interested in... well... my approach to magick (in RPGs).

But for me, system and setting are two very different things.  Yes, there are links.  Of course there are crossovers.  Games like Call of Cthulhu deserve a sanity stat.  Games like Blood and Honour deserve an honour stat.  But generally settings are, and should be, system non-specific.  With all due respect to the authors of Ars, when I play it, I'll be using my own, tweaked, homebrew system.  I'm going to play-test their game setting, whilst play-testing my new system.

The approach I'm taking with my new system is that, like any decent system, it should be IMHO applicable (with admittedly minor tweaks) to any setting.  As I have mentioned before, if I run a horror game, I use my own system, but I drop in a simple sanity mechanic to cover the insanity side of things.  Essential for a good horror game I would say.  But a decent system should be versatile enough to handle anything you throw at it.  And also flexible enough to handle the odd genre-specific mechanic addendum.

RPG systems basically govern the same sort of tasks pretty much regardless of setting: character generation, character development, task resolution, and combat.  That sort of thing.  The system handles how you roll the dice.  Everything else is setting and should never be constrained by the system.  Monitored, moderated, but never manipulated. Setting is first and foremost.

3 comments:

  1. Good thoughts. I just just Ars Magica myself and was very impressed. I have C:tL but am a bit lukewarm about it -- the setting and characters seems very flexible at first, but they all have the same background, which I find kinda irritating.

    Anyway, what I really wanted to say was while I agree with you for the most part concerning setting and system, I think a system can be too universal. If a game has a focused setting it should have a focused system -- i.e. if the setting is a dessert, does the system really need detailed rules for boats?

    In fact, too wide a system can harm a setting. I was always puzzled and a bit annoyed that V:tM had rules for tanks and bazookas! I felt like the rules were undermining me as a storyteller trying to run what the book promised was a game of "personal horror" by saying to my players "hey, look anti-aircraft guns!"

    Anyway, I'd love to get your opinion on my silly little game: http://prettypennylow.blogspot.com/2011/05/buccaneer-bunnies.html

    Cheers,

    --Matthew

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I see what you're saying, but I tend to strip rules right back to the bare essentials anyway, and / or make them modular. i.e. 99% of the same rules cover different genres, and then you just throw in the missing 'sanity plug-in' or whatever. I appreciate what you're saying about a desert-bound game not needing detailed rules for boats. But then I'd say, you never really need detailed rules for boats. I'd also not bother having rules for bazookas. A skill to cover using them if plausible, maybe. But the only thing you really need to know about a bazooka is that if one hits you then you're pretty much dead. I guess that's what I strive to do, is cut the rules back to the core essentials, which really just involve stats and skills and things. Everything else is story and setting and situation and can be ad libbed... IMHO - all of this is IMHO of course.

    As for C:tL - hmmm, yes I can see what you mean - all PCs have the same background. I guess the approach one ought to take then is to make their individual experiences of the Faery-realm as different as possible? And have their human backgrounds as different as possible?

    ReplyDelete
  3. O, and thanks for posting the link to your blog. Am taking a look at it now....

    ReplyDelete

speak your brains here...